DIY December: Snow Globes

December 05, 2013

Hello! It's me, H, again. 

It's been a lot colder lately in Cali (don't judge us; we're used to sunny weather). But it's never been quite cold enough for snow. So to make your very own winter wonderland, here's a tutorial on how to make a mason jar snow globe. 

You can find all of these materials at your local craft store (I went to Michael's). I bought a set of "trees," white glitter, plastic deer, and a mason jar. You'll also need a few cotton balls and a glue gun. Some craft stores sell fake snow that will settle better when you shake it, but I thought glitter would make for a fun, sparkly addition to the holiday decor at home. 


You'll want to start by attaching the trees to the lid of the mason jar; you could definitely use regular glue, but the hot glue gun will hold everything together in a shorter amount of time, making for a quicker assembly. I attached the deer and then went ahead to pull the cotton balls apart to make a snowy ground. 

I then turned the jar right side up and filled it with some glitter. You'll want to play with the amount of snow; the first time I put everything together, the snow engulfed my deer...

 For an extra sparkle, I put dots of glue on the trees so that the glitter would stick to them too. 

Screw on the lid (don't worry, if you used the glue gun, it should be safe to turn them upside down). Voila! Your very own winter wonderland. 

xo,
H





No comments:

Post a Comment