DIY December: Gift Wrapping

December 01, 2013

Happy December! 

To kick start off our DIY December, we're starting off with something everybody will be doing, regardless  of what you celebrate: wrapping gifts! 

Gift wrapping is an art of its own, but can sometimes go unappreciated in the frenzy to get to the good stuff inside. Some people consider it expensive to buy wrapping materials that will just end up in the trash anyway; others find it too "feminine" or "complicated." 


Here's an example of how you can disband both of those misconceptions. A while back, my best friend was starting a new job and needed some professional attire. After some sneaky digging, I found out all of his sizes and went shopping; I decided to get him some fun socks to remind him to still be his quirky self, even if he was belted up in "big boy clothes." 

The box came from the department store; tissue paper was leftover from Victoria's Secret. I debated using newspaper, but went with a Trader Joe's bag; I was trying to achieve a more "rugged" look for the wrapping. Besides, it's eco-friendly. 

I taped that up, learned how to tie a tie properly, and for the final touches, drew on a "shirt." There was even an unintentional fold where I drew the pocket, so I put the gift receipt there as a makeshift pocket square. 

The gift wrapping didn't cost me anything, it took about 5 minutes, and check out the picture of happy Brian. He looked handsome, duh. 

xoxo, H



2 comments: